Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:56:15 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: configuring ports via Makefile.local

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:07:20 +0200
Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know it can be done. However, since we do support Makefile.local
> > I think Radim has a point here.
>
> Hmmm, I would not exactly say that we support configuration via
> Makefile.local.

 [ ... ]

I was thinking of this:

 # grep -n -C2 Makefile.local /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
915-
916-# If they exist, include Makefile.inc, then architecture/operating
917:# system specific Makefiles, then local Makefile.local.
918-
919-.if ${MASTERDIR} != ${.CURDIR} && exists(${.CURDIR}/../Makefile.inc)
--
938-.endif
939-

> while this seems to support your assumption that configuring ports is
> the intended purpose, I would neither call this `documentation' nor can
> I find any reference how ports should support this file. In fact just
> .including <bsd.port.mk> is a suggested procedure in the FreeBSD Porters
> Handbook, regardless of the presence of configurable options.

OK. Then could we have please the right way documented somewhere for the
users ? Eventually explaining the interaction / precedence of the config
files we have: the options, plus variations of the solution Ulrich
posted (plus pkgtools.conf, plus unsupported Makefile.local).

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"