Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:34:46 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: retasting devices on demand

On 08/22/06 16:18, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <44EB703A.6000704@centtech.com>, Eric Anderson writes:

>>> As I said: the problem is that if part of the disk is open it will
>>> not work.
>>>

>> Ok, I'll restate more clearly:
>>
>> Admins really will want a way to retaste a device - if it's used, give
>> the usual 'operation not permitted', and if it isn't, then just retaste.
>

> 	#!/bin/sh
>
> 	if test -c $1 ; then
> 		true > $1
> 	else
> 		echo "Usage: $0 <disk-device>" 1>&2
> 	fi
>
> happy ?

No.  I know how to write a shell script, and I know now that the 'true'
trick works like a charm.  Unfortunately, there are lots and lots of
admins that maintain FreeBSD boxes out there, and they look at 'man
geom' or 'man glabel' etc, and don't see a way to re-taste the GEOMs.
There's no mention of the 'true' trick, so they'll have to find it
somehow on their own.  I agree it's simple, and easy, but not obvious
and intuitive.

Are you saying that if a patch existed to implement a re-taste command
for the current g* tools, that you would oppose it, or are you just
saying it's not important to you personally, so you won't bother to
write it?  If it's the former, I'll shrug my shoulders and move on - but
if it's the latter then maybe I'll take a shot at it in 'my spare time'.

Eric