Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2016 11:10:55 +0000
From:      Will Green <will@sundivenetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Skylake Loader Performance 10.3-BETA3

Hello,

I=E2=80=99ve been testing a new Skylake E3 Xeon server with 10.3-BETA3. =
The slow loader issue described on the forums =
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/53511/ is still present. On my =
Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F motherboard with E3-1260L v5 it takes over ten =
minutes to get to kernel boot. After that performance seems normal =
(though I=E2=80=99m still testing). This issue occurs when booting the =
installer from a USB stick or when booting the installed OS over SATA.=20=

I understand using UEFI resolves this issue, although I only have one =
Skylake motherboard model on which to confirm this. I know this issue is =
unlikely to be fixed for 10.3 release, but I think it should be noted in =
the release and/or hardware notes. Skylake systems are going to be =
increasing numerous this year, especially now Skylake Xeons are starting =
to ship in volume.=20

I am happy to test patches and/or current on this server if that helps. =
If you want more details on the motherboard/system I have started a post =
on it at http://buildwithbsd.org/hw/skylake_xeon_server.html

TIA
Will=