Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:25:37 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>, Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: svgalib?

> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:
>

> > The (direct?) X extension on newer versions of xfree86 isn't so bad.
> > Maybye you should take a look into it. I think it lets you use shared
> > memory to directly write to the x display.  I used to play quake under an
> > extension like this in linux, I am sure it is standard these days.  With
> > the sysvshm working it wasn't at all bad.
>
> Yes, it is very 'standard' these days, it is the MIT-SHM extension to X11.
> The only servers that I have come across that HAVEN'T supported this are

He's not talking about MIT-SHM, which is only used (and useful) for
very limited things, like sharing pixmap info with XShmGetPixmap()
(or whatever the extention call is named - something to that effect).

He's talking about the DGA extention which is *not* standard, I don't
believe that Xaccel or MetroX (the only 2 non-XFree86 servers I can
think of at the moment) support it.

						Jordan