Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:27:31 -0600
From:      Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Fun Scripting Problem

I know how to do this in Python, but I really want to do it in
straight Bourne shell.  I have some ideas, but I thought I'd
give you folks a crack at this Big Fun:

a)  You have a directory of files - say they're logs - generated
     at nondeterministic intervals.  You may get more than one a day,
     more than one a month, none, or hundreds.

b) To conserve space, you want to keep the last file generated
    in any given month (the archive goes back for an unspecified
    number of years), and delete all the files generated prior to
    that last file in that same month.

c) Bonus points if the problem is solved generally for either files
    or directories generated as described above.

These are not actually logs, and no, I don't think logrotate can
do this ... or can it?

Tim Daneliuk