Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 12:39:16 -0800
From:      Eric Blood <eblood@winky.reno.nv.us>
To:        ofarook <721.4992@mcimail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WINDOWS NT BOOT MANAGER & FREEBSD

In message <30E24E4E.68FA@mcimail.com>you write:
>Hi,
>
>I recently got a FREEBSD 2.1 CDROM FROM Walnut Creek.
>I have two hard disks and I have both Windows NT 3.5
>and Windows 95 with NT BOOT LOADER (dual booting).
>isk 1 has only one primary partition with WIN95
>and Disk 2 one primary partition with win NT (700M).
>I created another primary partition in Disk 2 for FREEBSD
>and tried to install it, but hard luck.
>
>My questions are
>
>1. With above configuration, can I install FREEBSD.

I have a similar configuration.  Mine was two SCSI 1 gig disks.  The
first was all Win 95 (still the beta June release; I can't bring
myself to pay for it).  The second disk was all FreeBSD.  Then I
split the Win95 and installed Windows NT.  I noticed that it's dual
boot program installed its self on the first partitions boot point.
So my existing boot manager (OSBS) would ask for FreeBSD or Win95
and then I would get a secondary boot menu (when I go to Win95) asking
for NT or Win95.  The problem I have is that I cant get rid of that
stupid secondary menu even though I reclaimed the NT partition.  Fdisk
/MBR doesn't hack it.  Any ideas?

So, in short, yes it will work.

>3. If am doing something wrong, How do I make FREEBSD co-exist with
>   NT Loader and add it as one of menu option for NT boot manager?

I wouldn't trust that NT loader.

Good luck.

Eric Blood
eblood@cs.unr.edu, http://www.cs.unr.edu/~eblood