Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 23:31:29 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   dirpref speedup with Compaq RAID controller

As someone requested timings from RAID systems for old/new dirpref code:

System has as the main disc (i.e. boot, /, /usr etc) as pair of SCSI UW
drives connected to a Compaq SMART-2SL controller. Configuration is
RAID 0, and I think the stripe size is 64k or so - whatever the conttroller
thinks is suitable for UNIX anyway. I recreated my /usr/src tree using
tar/untar into a directory next to it so I could compare operations. The
disc has softupdates enabled on it.

Doing a 'du -s' is 2.1 times faster on the new tree.
Doing an 'rm -r' is 2.9 times faster on the new tree.

Subjecyively the two tree sound very different in tersm of drive noise - as
the two discs are mounted differently in the case they sound different. You
can hear that operations on the old tree appear to be evenly mixed across
both discs. Operations on the new tree very obviously alternate discs as
the proceed. There seems to be far less disc activity when operating on the
new tree too, as you might expect.

-pete.