Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:56:41 -0300
From:      Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lorenzo Castellini <lorenzo.castellini28@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, mmokhi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Google Summer of Code

On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 18:07, Lorenzo Castellini <lorenzo.castellini28@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I hope this email finds you well. I am Lorenzo Castellini, a senior high
> school student, with an interest in participating in the Google Summer of
> Code. I am writing this email, since I am interested in collaborating with
> you guys on the project, but I am in need of a bit of guidance with the
> project proposal. I checked out the project list, and I was particularly
> interested in a project of virtual memory compression. I would like to work
> with this, maybe extending the project even further or applying some
> automation to such a process. On another note, I would also like to work
> with something similar, but with other PC components. Let me know of some
> ideas according to my interests. Thanks!

> Sincerely,
> Lorenzo Castellini Coutin

Hi Lorenzo,

I don't see any proposed projects to work on virtual memory compression
on https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas.  That's not to say that
you can't still propose something, but we should determine if this is a
viable project.  It looks like there were some GSoC projects in this
area in 2015 and 2019.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2015/MemoryCompressionDeduplication
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2019Projects/VirtualMemoryCompression

I've copied Mahdi Mokhtari, who mentored the project in 2019.  Mahdi,
could you share any information about how that project turned out?  The
repository listed on the wiki returns HTTP 404.

Lorenzo, there is some general information about writing a proposal at
https://www.freebsd.org/projects/summerofcode/.

Joe