Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:31:08 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Back to the Future - 64-bit time_t on sparc64

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:10:31AM -0500, Richard Coleman wrote:
> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >
> >Well, I have done more typing and testing, and it looks like I
> >can reliably upgrade a 32-bit time_t system to 64-bit time_t
> >even for people who install from NFS-mounted partitions.
> >
> >I have also expanded the instructions for updating, and tried
> >to make them more useful and informative.  So there is now the
> >writeup, and two useful scripts:
> >
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/UPDATING.64BTT
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/installworld_oldk
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/installworld_newk
> >
> >The 'oldk' script is only needed for installing via NFS mounts.
> >The 'newk' script is recommended for anyone doing this upgrade.

[Sorry for replying to your reply to Garance rather than replyign
 directly; I've lost his original email.]

When you say "installing via NFS mounts", are you referring to /usr/obj?
The reason that I ask that my /usr/src is remote but my /usr/obj is
local. If /usr/src being remote marks me as doing an NFS install for the
purposes of these scripts, what are the disadvantages (if any) of use
the _oldk script?

> >Adventurous people are invited to try this for installs on any
> >system, and let me know how it goes

I plan up upgrade caliban.rospa.ca in the near future and I'll report
back how it goes.

-T

--
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice
versa.