Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:01:21 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws+freebsd-questions@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   $PIR: ROUTE_INTERRUPT failed.

Do I need to be concerned about these boot entries in /var/log/messages
(running -CURRENT i386):

   kernel: pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1
-> kernel: $PIR: ROUTE_INTERRUPT failed.
   kernel: pci1: <display, VGA> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)

and I presume to be related:

   kernel: vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
-> kernel: unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
-> kernel: unknown: <PNP0a03> can't assign resources (port)
-> kernel: unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
-> kernel: unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
-> kernel: unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
-> kernel: unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)

The system is prone to random lock-up (not observed previously when
running 5.2-RELEASE). The lockup can be induced by running xmms - quite
quickly when playing from a streaming source and playing through the
sound card[1]. However the lockup will also occur at random although it
has always been observed to happen as a result of user activity (I don't
recall having returned to find the system rebooted[2]). Aside from
running xmms, this lockup will usually not occur until after some
(variable) hours of use.

Another symptom I get is that because of the unclean unmounts of / and
/usr, the delayed fsck kicks in at about the same time that my desktop
session is reloading. This currently[3] results in
evolution-alarm-notify crashing. I can get no crashdump info from
bug-buddy, however. If the background fsck isn't running (e.g. if I wait
for it to complete before logging in to the desktop), I don't get the
crash.

I don't get any log entries or core dumps to work with and am currently
at a loss as to the likely cause or resolution. Any and all tips, clues,
hints, pointers, instructions, directives and derisive comments
appreciated.

Wayne

[1] Recently the system booted without (the BIOS) finding the soundcard
(this happens very occasionally, nothing to do with FBSD). Curious, I
ran xmms from the streaming source and set the output to write to a
file. I left this running for around two hours and it had written around
1.5G before I stopped it. I can't run xmms and play through the
soundcard (Xitel Storm Platinum/Aureal Vortex 2) for anywhere near that
long without experiencing a lock up.

[2] The system always reboots itself, about 20 seconds after the lockup
occurs.

[3] These symptoms (programs crashing while the destop is reloading and
the background fsck is running) have been varied, changing as I've
recompiled various ports.