Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:01:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        David Hawkins <dhawk@river.org>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to lock out a nonpaying user?

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Norman C Rice wrote:

> I use `vipw' to place an asterisk (*) in the first character of their
> password field.
>
>   deadbeat:*$1$B0i0:1008:69::0:0:Slow Pay:/home/spay:/bin/csh
>            ^
> You could use vipw to change their login program to /usr/bin/false or
> /nonexistent.
>
>   deadbeat:$1$B0i0:1008:69::0:0:Slow Pay:/home/spay:/nonexistent

We do something similar, but didn't trust multiple people hacking
at the password file with a text editor. After being tired of being
the bottle neck, I put a script together to do it and gave sudo
previlidges to everyone down to level1 support to activate/reavtivate
logins. It also makes it easy search for dead beats in the system
that haven't paid and eventually clear them out.

This also provides additional protection from POP mail, the deadbeats
can't continue to use your mail server from another provider, futher
pressing the issue of resolving the non-paynment issue.

Jeffrey A. Lynch, President		      JORSM Internet
email: jeff@jorsm.com		Northwest Indiana's Full-Service Provider
Voice: (219)322-2180		   927 Sheffield Avenue, Dyer, IN 46311
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com		   http://www.jorsm.com