Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:02:13 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Protections on inetd (and /sbin/* /usr/sbin/* in general)

> Recommendation:
>    A number of the executables located in /sbin and /usr/sbin are
>    never going to be invoked for any legitimate use by anyone other
>    than the superuser.  In particular, servers such as portmap and
>    inetd run by non-root users are unlikely to do what was intended.
>    It seems a prudent measure to simply not set execute permission
>    by "other" on such programs during the install, giving the user
>    a handy "Permission denied" message when such an attempt is made.

Since these files don't run with any extra privileges (i.e., they're
not setuid or setgid), nothing stops a user from uploading their own
copy and running it.  Your proposal doesn't actually improve security;
it just annoys the attacker.  Whether this is a good thing or a waste
of time is a matter of opinion; personally, I'm in the latter boat
(i.e., I see no reason to do this).

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org