Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 00:18:13 -0400
From:      Brian Freeman <bef126@psu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp

I am trying to establish a PPP connection so I can use my netscape
broswer.  Using the PPP program that came with my distribution (FreeBSD
2.2), I establish a connection (I assume the connection is established
because the ppp turns from lower case into upper case ppp -> PPP and I
am assigned an IP address).  I then load netscape.  Every time I type in
a URL I get the message "Server doesn't have a DNS entry . . ." so I
know it is not connecting to the internet.  Then after about 5 minutes
the connection breaks and the error log says "Too many packets lost".  I
know using netscape with Windows that I had to use an internet socket
program "Winsock" and was wondering do I need something like this for
UNIX?  Or else is there something I'm doing wrong or forgot to do?

Any comments or suggestions would be appriciated.

Thank you,
Brian
bef126@psu.edu