Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 07:44:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dl9sau@x-berg.in-berlin.de
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/4745: installing new ports using /stand/sysinstall

>Number:         4745
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       installing new ports using /stand/sysinstall
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
after installing freebsd from ftp6.de.freebsd.org (minimal installation),
i chose to install a few ports packages. that worked fine.
the system was able to (re)boot from harddisk, too.
then, i wanted to install further things, like irc and lynx using
/stand/sysinstall. but after the connection has been established, sysinstall
terminated with a core dump :-( this problem was repeatable.
then, i decided to make an ´update´ of my system. but that would take hours,
and I interrupted the ftp. after confirming the interrupt with ok, sysinstall
began checking the system but crashed with ´no swapspace left´ (I hat 25MB
swap, 8MB ram and only a few processes running - a memory allocation failure?).

i decided to reboot. but there was no kernel (!) left.
on the installation boot I´ve not found any help for re-installing the
kernel.

now, I´m at re-installing the complete system :-(((

btw: being familiar with linux, I noticed a different directory structure
(/stand, /usr/lkm, /usr/share, ..). since there´s no man for ´hier´ (
directory hierarchy), I want to know the sense / explanation for those directories.