Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:10:37 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore and DIRPREF

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:05:00AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> If I do a backup of my FS, wipe the disk, will the 'restore' cause the
> same (ineffecient) directory layout to appear on disk?
>
> I wouldn't think so since the directory layout is controlled by the
> kernel, but I do know that dump/restore are much lower-layer tools than
> tar, so they may possibly have layout information embedded in them.
>=20
> Is my assumption correct?

No.  Dump reads the raw disk directly, but restore doesn't.  Dump needs
to in order to find the actual location of holes in files, but recreating
them can be done in userland by simply seeking over them so there's no
need to write directly to the raw disk on restore.  Assuming you can
read the dumps and you don't care about the file permissions, you can
restore as any user.

-- Brooks

--=20

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j