Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 01:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with reboot

Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 15-Jul-97 you wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:
>
> > These parametes are tunable from dptmgr (DOS).  Future releases (soon)
> of
> > our FreeBSD driver will support IOCTL and /dev/dpt ASCII interfaces to
> > these functions, as well as array builds, repairs, monitoring, and
> other
> > such things.  The SCO version of dptmgr will be ported to FreeBSD.
> > Probably NOT in source.
>
>   I have a DPT PM334UW.  I having trouble getting the Win95 storage
> manager to work properly.  After building the RAID-5 array from 5 x 4GB
> drives, and restarting the storage manager doesn't see the previous built
> array!  I received the bare board version of this product (not by
> choice!), so I don't have docs or any software, except for what I can get
> off of www.dpt.com.

First get the latest firmware and dptmgr (DOS) floppy from either DPT or
(slow) from sendero-ppp.i-connect.net, or from (faster) ftp.i-connect.net.
The patches on ftp.i.... are old.  Get them form sendero.

>   What is the recommended way of building an array so it reconizable by
> FreeBSD?  Right now when I boot, FreeBSD just sees 5 x 4GB disks, and
> allows me to partition them, rather (as I'm presuming anyhow), a 16GB
> virtual disk.  Is the Win95 or DOS storage manager preferred?

I think I posted this one way or another, but here is a summary, again:

*  If you have multiple channels, spread drives, of SAME attributes, across
   ALL busses.
*  Boot Doze
*  dptmgr/fw0  (will tell dptmgr you do not want to rely on O/S RAID)
*  Choose BSDi as na OS, or Linux. in the Initial Install...
*  Format ALL the drives (MTBF of an array is Disk-MTBS/No-of-disks!!)
*  Alt-V  (switch to RAID view)
*  Alt-C  (create new RAID array)
*  Fill form with RAID type, stripe size (think small :-), etc.
*  Tab to lowest drive on lowest bus
*  Space-Bar (to select drive)
*  Alt-I (to include in new array)
*  Tab to lowest drive on next bus
*  Space-Bar, Alt-I
*  Repeat in this manner until you run out of drives.
* If possible, leave an unused drive.
*  Alt-D (Done)
*  Alt (to activate menu bar)
*  Tab to File pull down
*  Set System Parameters (it warns and warns)
*  Black flag on array icon will turn blue and drives get a white flag.
*  Wait for flags to be GONE (a good time to take a lunch break or go to
bed.
   You can select the array icon, give it a name, look at the bits go by...
*  If you left a spare drive, visit it (tab to icon, press ENTER) and make
it
   Hot Spare.  It will get a Red Cross Icon, become invisible to the O/S and
   do absolutely nothing until another drive fails.
*  Exit, reboot and enjoy.  The O/S will have no clue, except some drive
that
   is simply too big.

>   Is sendero-ppp.i-connect.net/crash/dptmgr-floppy1.raw supposed to be
> some kind of single disk boot manager?  How is it supposed to be used?

it is the most current (I hope) first disk in the DPt package.  Goes hand in
hand with the firmware I have there too.  See above for directions.  They
were
typed from memory, so no warranty, expressed or implied apply :-)

Simon