Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 18:36:22 -0500
From:      butlermd@tgn.net (Michael Butler)
To:        <eric@tzo.com>, list@inet-access.net, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tzo dynamic DNS

Hokay, boys and girls, turn your channel if you don't like the long
mushy ones ;->

	It's time to summarize because I'm satisfied. There are
different opinions for different reasons and that is to be expected. It
was human nature for me to react to the unknown, percieved as threat.

My original post was simple if somewhat knee-jerk.

>On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:58:51 -0500, I  wrote:
>This may be old stuff but is anyone getting dns mods fromtzo.com
>hijacking ip addresses to their domains?
>
>What do we do about it?
>
>see www.tzo.com
>
>They're about to be cut off at the FW
>TIA
	Turns out the danger was there, not because TZO presented one
though. I had simply sat on an ancient BIND wayyyy too long.

Thanks to "Mitch Vincent" <cygone@zoomnet.net> who hit the nail on the
head.=20
--Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:40:28 -0400
--Older versions of BIND allow for cache modification remotely, that
--might be what you're running  into, you better upgrade, there are
--other serious security holes in those versions too.

---Mitch

	Mitch looked at it like me as a potential problem but Mitch, in
a mature manner eschewed emotional or selfish conversation.

Some folks acted like I am an idiot (at least a debatable concept, heh)
by being concerned about a legitimate entity that provides a legitimate
service within the Internet framework, read "TZO was resourceful" as
well as harmless. I then focused back on the symptoms with a later post.

>Anybody had problems with Sendmail anti spam, fwd/reverse DNS
>mismatches? I *think* that was what we saw.=20

	Mitch however, had this covered in the BIND problem. We've
brought BIND, sendmail, Apache, and some other stuff into the present as
a result of this thread, thanks to all.

	OTOH, there were folks like myself who regarded this as
manipulation of my DNS and IP space. I still feel funny that someone
could *modify* my configuration at least in the eyes of other DNS
servers on the 'Net. Not having total control is also human nature, I'll
get over it.
---------------
Since 1994 I've enjoyed Michael Dillon's posts right here at inet-access
among other places.  This belongs (if not already stated) in Boardwatch
for ISP exposure.

Please note that if you ban servers then you are banning anything that
works like a telephone set. A telephone hogs the line 24 hours a day but
uses no bandwidth unless a call is in progress. But because it *IS*
hogging that line, the telephone is able to ring and announce an
incoming call. With convergence of the Internet and telephony services,
any ISP who has not structured their business to deal with always-on
services will be at a disadvantage. So don't ban servers because that is
a sleazy way of sidestepping the issue and users will hate you for it.
Let them run all the servers they want as long as they understand that
they will pay excess charges for being online too long or using too much
bandwidth. Rig your systems so that users can opt for being cut off by
the system rather than incurring excess charges.

Basically, keep your customers happy, give them what they want, and
charge a fee that covers your costs and makes you a profit.

	Views like this, backing up into the shotgun formation so you
can see the field and responding quickly, is what keeps independent ISPs
in business whilst the big boys hammer away with their inherent strength
*and* weaknesses.
--
=46inally, what sealed it for me was a message from Eric McIntyre:

=46rom: "Ericm" <eric@tzo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:44:38 -0400

>If you are unhappy that your users are using our service, you should =
place
>something about dynamic dns in your terms of service agreement. =20

	Agreed, I had to learn more about you.

>The
>newsgroups are not the place to complain about us, you should complain =
>your users that are abusing your service.  If you offer either static IP
>addresses at low prices, or offered dynamic dns options to them, they
>wouldn't need our services.

	OK, <anal mode> this ain't a newsgroup is it? We're all mature
ISPs, right? I had a problem to solve.  I had to do like the dogs and
"bow-up" until we sniffed each other's butts. As I said defense from the
unknown is the human response. Several responses thought I was lame in
my thoughts that you were a threat. Others saw it like I did... another
hurdle to overcome.</anal mode>

	I have thought in the past about the third level, like
customer.tgn.net   I'm still looking at your stuff. From what I
understand this now it looks like your methods may work for me too. I'll
continue to read your information to see how you operate. I may be a
customer or affiliate of yours too.

>We have no control over the content or the terms of service agreements =
that
>the users sign.  They choose our services because they typically have a =
need
>that their ISP will not help them with.

	I didn't ecalate or feed the AUP fight. I had old BIND seems to
be the core of my problem. I am pretty liberal with my hours. I posted a
mushy response to Michael Dillon that talks a little about this.

>thanks

	Thanks to you, I may be in touch after I get a chance to
resurface for air.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Philosophical summary:

...back up from the shotgun formation, into the stands where you see
it's just a game, you paid to get in, and we're just here for a good
time I hope our team ISPs and other independents win. When it's all over
(Y2k, heh) we all go home and get on with life.

Overall,  I was pleased to see this thread turn into the epitome of what
the old Internet was about. I was concerned, asked a question to the
vast unpaid research department, and got many answers.=20

	Distilling that info I came about my decision. Mine was
different from other readers for different reasons. Different folks
cvome and go reading the same words and go away with different ideas. I
pray that never changes.

	I got on "da 'Net" rather late in 1994 but appreciate and admire
the way the 'Net was and *how* it was built and by whom. These days,
though we seem to be paranoid from all angles. Black hat hackers are
more numerous, we now have to watch for commercial threats ( big boys
and less than moral or ethical opportunists), legal potholes (and black
holes) all around the "Information Superhighway",  and finally the
government is redefining history... again. (lest anarchy get a good name
I guess)

=46or the latter  though, I realize in this case changing history
<"doublespeak" -- Orwell> was just campaign loose-lip.

 I found this cute:

	Al Gore's claim to creating the Internet is still creating some
	zingers from Republicans.
	The latest is from Dan Quayle making light of his potato
	misspelling - "If Al Gore created the Internet, then I invented
	the spell-check."=20
		-- http://www.swickey.com/archive/3-16-99.html

peace