Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:44:51 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Diego Calleja =?iso-8859-1?Q?Garc=EDa?= <aradorlinux@yahoo.es>
Cc:        Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Diego Calleja Garc=EDa wrote:
> El Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:02:04 -0400 Randi Harper <sektie@freebsdgirl.com>=
 escribi=F3:
> > What exactly is realistic about that? There's nothing wrong with
> > reinventing the wheel if only works perfectly on one type of car. It
> > doesn't sound like it was a very good wheel in the first place if
> > that's the case.
> =

> Well, it's "being realistic" in the sense "you can't rewrite a entire d=
esktop
> software in two days". Gnome and KDE have been working for _years_ and =
they're
> very ahead of anything else you can find in the OSS world (GPL or BSD).=

The first desktop I wrote took me two days.  I used a product
called "OIBuilder", and hacked up the "file" program code to
make it into a library, and then I added a "type" column to
the "/etc/magic" descriptions file that I then used to pick
icons to use on the desktop (*my* ".doc" files displayed with
an icon appropriate to their internal format, rather than with
an icon picked on the basis of their file extension).

I hardly think I'm unique in my ability to do this... 8-) 8-).

-- Terry