Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 18:44:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>, FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD:  Hayes Accura 56K and FreeBSD?

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 04:46:53PM -0500, Jeff Roberts wrote:
> >
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I'm thinking of making the leap from my old USR 144 to a new Hayes Accura
> > 56.  Assuming this is not another of these Winmodem deals (the specs from
> > my vendor are iffy), I don't see any compatibility problems.  However, can
> > the FreeBSD PPP dialout program(s) fully exploit the new modem's speed?
> > I checked the docs @ freebsd.org, but didn't see anything really
> > pertaining to performance of higher-speed modems.
> >
> > My school will not be up to 56K anytime soon (currently at 28.8K), but I
> > want to be able to connect with them at their maximum.  Is there any
> > reason that I shouldn't go with this modem?  I'm at 2.2.1-R.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice you can give me!  =)
>
> I'm evaluating one at the moment with our Max4000 dialups.  There are
> still problems in the 56k code but in all other respects I think that it's
> an excellent modem.

I think they a pile of kak and Hayes support is no better. I've tried to
call them several times and as well as putting me in a 10-deep call Q
which never seems to do down, they are not answring my email either. I
bought one in the UK and it just doesn't work with Livingston PM3/K56flex
kit.  According to Livingston, you need a certian rev. of modem software
and my modem just doesn't have it and Hayes are not helping me. There is
an upgrade for US modems, but not for UK modems. I am going to take my
modem back to PC world tomorow and get a Mr. Modem which is about 20 quid
cheaper and which I know works. (You also need win95 to do the upgrade)

Gordon