Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:14:41 -0700
From:      Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <pavlin@catarina.usc.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        pavlin@catarina.usc.edu
Subject:   Patching the patches?

Hello,

Some background:
In our lab we have one FreeBSD-3.2 machine exporting its /usr/local
to all other machines so all the software we install on that machine
appear on other machines under /import (each machine also has its
own /usr/local). A one-time editing of /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
(replacing of all /usr/local with /import) makes life easier, so the
programs in the port collection are eventually compiled and
installed using /import in mind instead of /usr/local

Well, I just found that the mh configuration (/usr/ports/mail/mh)
does not use any definitions from the Makefile re. various
paths. In this particular example patches/patch.aa contains a number
of absolute paths, and as a result, all MH binaries have
/usr/local/something path inside, and cannot be used by other hosts
that expect the MH binaries under /import because one binary may
call another using the hardcoded path to it.

I was wondering whether there is an automatic method to
change/modify the patches/* files according to the configuration in
bsd.port.mk before applying them.
Or maybe this is just one isolated example and doesn't worth the
effort...

Thanks,
Pavlin