Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:22:43 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   jailed ftpd behind NAT'ing firewall: ftphosts?

Hi all.

I want to set up a jailed FTP server on a box inside a private LAN,
accessable to the outside. It all looks straight-forward enough, using
a column on DaemonNews (http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200212/ftpjail.html)
as a guildline, except that I want to use FreeBSD's ftpd(8).

Reading the ftpd(8) man page, it seems I need to employ /etc/ftphosts,
but try as I might, I can't find an example of /etc/ftphosts.

The private network is 192.168.16.0/24. The public IP to my LAN is,
say, 208.42.236.15. Do I need /etc/ftphosts to reflect the public IP,
or does jail(8) handle this for me, or what?

Even if I don't need /etc/ftphosts, could someone post an example? I
find the man page sufficiently vague as to the actual contents, the
user field in particular. It seems to me this is something I should
just know.

Thanks,
Dave

--