Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 09:31:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Make World Times and a question about shared libs / make all

> > 	The one I really want to clean up is the installation of header
> > 	files, that causes more things to rebuild than anything to do
> > 	with the libraries.
> >
> > Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  I've been thinking about this too.  It's really
> > painful to have to recompile everything just because install is too dumb
> > to not update the mtime if the source and target are the same.
>
> I'd say that this had to do with using install directly at all
> instead of having the xxx/foo.h target depend on the yyy/foo.h
> source.
>
> In other words, it's a dependency issue.
>
> Part of this is the fact that there is not an include dir built
> in somewhere besides the system include directory, and the system
> include directory is (incorrectly) being use to build things in
> the build tree.
>
> This is also a problem for cross-compilation.

make DESTDIR=/foo/bar/whereever almost corrects those two.  I had
the .mk stuff to a point once that it did, too bad I had lots of
other things that these new .mk files broke :-(.

This requires corrections of the CC command to have -nostdinc
-nostdinc++ and -I${DESTDIR}{INCLUDEROOT}.  The only requires
about two dozen patches to make work.

> The kernel build seems unable to take precompiled object files
> into account when sources are unavailable.  This is necessary for
> the provision of binary-only pieces (like commercial drivers).

It is not the goal of FreeBSD to support binary only pieces,
and I think it would go against any charter I would be willing
to sign.  But it is easy to add, a simple make .PATH statement
will do it.

> The kernel build also seems to lack a dependency graph for the
> rebuilding of some objects based on optioning things in, or the
> delete/config/make_depend/make dance wouldn't be necessary.

You ever tried to solve that problem?  It can be done, but
you'll find that very few sources in the kernel without
*some* #ifdef in it.