Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:04:41 +0000
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: after pkg-config -> pkgconf update lots of packages show missing dependency on devel/pkg-config

--opg8F0UgoHELSI+9

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:15:53AM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> 	Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:55:31 -0700
> 	From: Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
> 	To: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
> 	CC: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
> 	Subject: Re: after pkg-config -> pkgconf update lots of packages show mi=
ssing
> 	 dependency on devel/pkg-config
>=20
> 	On 07/30/2012 14:18, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> 	> I did portmaster -o devel/pkgconf devel/pkg-config
> 	> as advised. Now doing "portmaster --check-depends"
> 	> returns 235 ports with
> 	> "missing dependency: devel/pkg-config".
> 	> I thought the "-o" portmaster option is specifically
> 	> to update the dependencies list. Am I wrong?
> 	> Or is this not possible in this particular case?
>=20
> 	It certainly should have worked, yes. Are you using the latest
> 	portmaster?
>=20
> $ pkg info -xo portmaster
> portmaster-3.13.13: ports-mgmt/portmaster
> $
>=20
> with pkgng patch
>=20
> 	And can you tgz and send me your /var/db/pkg directory?
>=20
> http://seis.bris.ac.uk/~mexas/var_db_pkg.tar.xz
>=20

You can't mix both pkgng and pkg_install, and looking at your /var/db/pkg, =
you
have mixed it for a while and you now have both the pkgng version and the
pkg_install version half migrated to pkgconf and inconsistent.

As I don't the the manipulation you have exactly done, and the exact state =
of
your system, it is hard for me to tell you how to recover.

In any case this as nothing to do with portmaster.
if you decide to fully go the pkgng way what I do suggest is:

remove all the directories from /var/db/pkg (keeping only the local.sqlite =
file)
then run=20

echo "delete from deps where origin=3D'devel/pkg-config'; update deps set o=
rigin=3D'devel/pkgconf', name=3D'pkgconf', version=3D'0.8.4' where origin=
=3D'devel/pkg-config';" | pkg shell

I tested with your database this seems to work.

after that you can upgrade safely everything.

Remember, do not mix pkg_install and pkgng, if you decide to go pkgng this =
is a
one shot migration.

regards,
Bapt