Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 17:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/25535: unaligned access crash on stq

The following reply was made to PR alpha/25535; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To: User Raymond <raymond@one.com.au>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 17:02:21 -0800 (PST)

 (let's keep the audit trail in the PR)

 On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, User Raymond wrote:

 > Subj: alpha/25535: unaligned access crash on stq
 > To:   mjacob@feral.com
 > From: raymond@one.com.au
 >

 > > How is this a bug? If you try and access unaligned values you'll get
 > > unaligned traps.
 >
 > Sorry - I didn't explain myself at all well did I?
 >
 > The example was the only way I could force that to happen and I don't
 > know whether the OS is supposed to trap that and fix it on the fly.
 >
 > The original is in a much larger piece of code that ends up with a structure
 > unalligned and I can't work out how to get around it.  I am porting the
 > code from the x86 platform and not having much luck.
 >
 > Any pointers would be appreciated.
 >
 > Ray Newman

 Pointers indeed! :-)

 farrago.feral.com > uname -a
 FreeBSD farrago.feral.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #6: Sun Mar  4
 13:33:54 PST 2001     mjacob@farrago.feral.com:/tstsys/compile/GPLUS  alpha
 farrago.feral.com > sysctl -a|grep alig
 vfs.nfs.realign_test: 20065
 vfs.nfs.realign_count: 0
 machdep.unaligned_print: 1
 machdep.unaligned_fix: 1
 machdep.unaligned_sigbus: 0

 If you set machdep.unaligned_fix to 0, it will stop fixups. The default is to
 do the fixup. If you set machdep.unaligned_print to 0, it won't print.

 You might consider how to get the structure aligned as it's much more than
 just alpha that has this issue.

 -matt