Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 01:18:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rhys Cheung <reeser@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printer prints 2x the size...

I have an HP Laserjet4L attached to a serial port.  When I print, it
doesn't feed until I press the button on my printer, and then perhpas it
will print something.  The 4L is especially troublesome for me to
troubleshoot because it has a single button, with 4 indicator lights
indicating that an incoming signal is detected, paper is feeding, out of
paper, and paper jam.  It automatically turns on when it senses data from
the computer.

When I start a print job (either text, Postscript through ghostscript, or
from Netscape), the power would turn on, then the paper feed would start
flashing as if it is expecting a manually fed page.  Usually pressing the
button would override manual feed and begin printing, but in this case, it
doesn't always do that.

When it does print, I get output that is twice as large as it should be,
meaning that I get a quarter of the page printed in double-sized
characters.  Through Netscape, no button-pressing would make it respond,
and the paper feed light would keep on flashing.

I suspect that the blown-up text has to do with a DPI mistake.  It is a
300dpi printer.  Here is what my /etc/printcap says:

ascii|lp1|ljet4l-letter-ascii-mono|ljet4l ascii mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/ljet4l-letter-ascii-mono:\
        :lf=/var/spool/ljet4l-letter-ascii-mono/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/ljet4l-letter-ascii-mono/acct:\
        :if=/home/local/apsfilter/filter/aps-ljet4l-letter-ascii-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
lp|lp2|ljet4l-letter-auto-mono|ljet4l auto mono:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/ljet4l-letter-auto-mono:\
        :lf=/var/spool/ljet4l-letter-auto-mono/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/ljet4l-letter-auto-mono/acct:\
        :if=/home/local/apsfilter/filter/aps-ljet4l-letter-auto-mono:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:
#
raw|lp3|ljet4l-letter-raw|ljet4l auto raw:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/ljet4l-raw:\
        :lf=/var/spool/ljet4l-raw/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/ljet4l-raw/acct:\
        :if=/home/local/apsfilter/filter/aps-ljet4l-letter-raw:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

I had a few friends of mine look it over, and they were not familiar
enough with printing problems to give me a solution.  A friend had set up
basically the entire OS for me--I'm just still getting used to UNIX--so I
don't know much about the details and what I could look at.  If you can
point me to printing-related files, or better yet, solve the problem, it
would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rhys Cheung
Computer Science Undergraduate Association
University of California at Berkeley