Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 1995 14:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdr getpos() compile failure

I added the two functions that treat the float as a long. This worked
between FreeBSD and SunOS 4.1.4. (no surprise).

Then I tried the:
     s = xdr_getpos( &xdrs );
 function, which failed to compile. The first time was under CC, then
under cc. Both times the error was too many args to function. In the
xdr.h is a 'getpos' macro that expands to a function call within the XDR
structure.

	u_int	(*x_getpostn)();/* returns bytes off from beginning */

Unfortunately, the function definition is defined to take no
parameters! This is probably a left over K&R definition.

Trying to downshift to K&R, I tried the -traditional switch, but that
caused other errors.

My solution is to modify /usr/include/rpt/xdr.h. But that only lasts
until I install 2.0.5 . Maybe fixed in 2.1?

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |