Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:53:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
To:        Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Brian Beattie <beattie@aracnet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NT life spans [was: UDF]

> Someone should do a study to find out how many human life spans have
> been lost waiting for NT to reboot.
>               Ken Deboy on Dec 24 1999 in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc

Hmm. Our Compaq Proliant (running NT) takes about 5 whole minutes from the
moment I click reboot to the time when I can log in as Administrator and
actually do something.

The Proliant has 4 Pentium Pros at 200 MHz and half a gig of RAM, with a
24 gig array. It is running IIS (for our Front Page clients) and is also
acting as a PDC. The results would be slightly more horrfying if you had a
slower server. Less horrifying if you had a faster server.

If I spend an entire day on it doing something, it usually needs two
reboots or so. More if something major happened.

So, let's say I worked on it for an entire year.

~18 work days per month, times 12 months per year. 10 minutes per day..

18 days/month * 12 months/year * 10 minutes/day = 2160 minutes/year
2160 minutes / 60 minutes/hour = 36 hours/year

The average number of hours that a human being lives, if they live to 80
is 691200 hours (GAH).

19200 humans working with NT for a year, a single lifespan is lost waiting
for NT to reboot. (19200 * 36 = 691200)

Some other perspectives:

If 1,000,000 people use Windows NT for 1 year, 52 human lives are lost.
That's a human life per week!

1,000,000 people using NT for 5 years = 260 lives.

I'll let the numbers speak for themselves about the TCO involved in
deploying Windows NT across your enterprise.

Michael Bacarella