Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:39:30 -0500
From:      Ron Dzierwa <RonDzierwa@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CTX Laptop

I have a CTX EzBook 800 series on which I have used FreeBSD version
2.2.6
since that version was current.  At the time I had to use some of the
PAO
stuff to get the pcmcia enet to work, but everything else seemed to work

fine.

I just bought a new disk, and figured i'd install 4.2.  The ata driver
does not
seem to live happily with the disk controller, however.  and even the
floppy
driver seems to be having a problem (fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port
range).
The ata driver says:
atapci0: <Generic PCI ATA controller> port
0xfcf0-0xfcff,0x374-0x377,0x170-0x177
,0x2f4-0x3f7,0x1f0-0x1f7 at device 18.1 on pci0
atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
ata2: at 0x1f0 on atapci0
ata2: unable to allocate interrupt
device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6
ata3: at 0x170 on atapci0
ata3: unable to allocate interrupt
device_probe_and_attach: ata3 attach returned 6

later on, when the sysinstall menu comes up and i try to allocate disk
space
it naturally tells me that there are no disks.

the old kernel wd driver used to say:
wdc0: at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wd0: 3102MB 96354432 sectors), 6304 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/t, 512 B/s
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1602B/1150>, removable, accel,
dma, ior
.
..

I have tried enabling and disabling PNP in the bios, and using auto/user
config
for the disks.  all combinations seem to yield the same results - it
cant init the
disk controllers.

I have another FreeBSD system that I use as a workstation.  I used it
to build a kernel for the boot flop that would stop in the fd driver
( while(1) i++; makes an effective stopper) so that I could see the ata
driver messages.  If anybody has any fixes or suggestions, I could
implement them and test them without any problem.

any and all help is appreciated.  I really would like to use 4.2 rather
than
going back to the old 2.2.6!

thanks,
ron.