Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 01:59:26 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, tom@sdf.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, root@friday.keanesea.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is the best way to setup a drive

 >>> The "/etc" directory is not allowed to be other than on the root
 >>> file system, by definition.  That resolves the symlink problem.
 >> Umm? What was being talked about (if you remember) was having a
 >> read-only root filesystem. Then someone pointed out that that'd
 >> stop you changing passwords, so then a symlink from /etc to a
 >> read-write FS was suggested ... Which makes me wonder where your
 >> FS ``improvements'' fit in? They don't solve the problem of how to
 >> figure out where to get the /etc directory from.
 > I thought that was clear.  That /etc has to be writeable is a
 > bogus assumption.  The NIS suggestion for "where do I get my
 > passwords from" frees up /etc/passwd.

I had been responding to the symlink idea that jmb proposed.

Is there any problem with symlinking /etc/passwd to something on a r/w
filesystem instead of dealing with NIS, to deal with pre-yp programs
that don't think to call getpwent()?  I suppose that the /etc/ptmp
lockfile would have to be dealt with accordingly in that event, but
there should be ways to handle that.

Where are the perms for /dev/tty* stored?

  > What's left is /etc/fstab (dealt with by mount changes, which
  > aren't the same thing as FS changes), /etc/rc* (bogus) and
  > /etc/sysconfig (also bogus).

Hmmm... We may also want to change paths.h (and
src/sbin/nologin/nologin.5; why is it in that directory instead of
shutdown or login?) to take care of /etc/nologin, although shutdown
will work fine without changing it.  (Just be sure to remove it
manually your first attempt to boot with / r/o!)

Should the comment from /etc/rc concern us?: "root must be read/write
both for NFS diskless and for VFS LKMs before proceeding any further."

  > I really don't see where the problem is: throw out your
  > bogositieis and fix the rest to comply with the design documents,
  > and the problems all fade away.

Who said there's a problem?  I can't fix the programs at the current
time (no net connection on my test machine, forgot to pay the phone
bill), so I'm just pointing 'em out.

I'm new at this; what design documents are you referring to?

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped