Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 08:20:52 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   virtual consoles (F1 - F4) & X-Window System

   I  recently  bothered  the  list  to  find  out why my X server (3.3.5) was
turning  my monitor off and LO! The List was Helpful! Thank you very much. Now
I  have  another  (minor)  problem in that whenever I run X (i.e. every time I
boot  FreeBSD. I haven't changed the initrunlevel yet but that's coming) I get
it  with  no  problems  but  if  I shut it down or try to switch to one of the
text-only  VC's  (<ctl><alt><F1>)  my  monitor again turns off. I can overcome
this  by  typing  (as  any  logged  in user) `vidcontrol 80x43` (w/o the `s of
course)  and  my  screen  comes  back  to life in 80x43 mode. How can I either
make all my VC's default to 80x43 or make my 80x25 mode work after starting X?

Also I cannot seem to change to any of the 132x* modes as vidcontrol complains
that  the device can't handle it. This is a most minor annoyance since X works
but I would like to know if/how I can set my machine up to do some of the 132x
modes.

My  system  is FreeBSD-3.2 (I coulda swore I chose STABLE, but I think a uname
shows  RELEASE.  The  same?) X is 3.3.5 running the KDE WM. My video card is a
16mb  Voodoo  Banshee  and  my monitor is a Daytek 17". (I bought it used so I
have no idea what it's defined capabilities and ranges are.)

TIA
--
 Ben   <mailto:received@email.com>