Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:39:15 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu>, bvsmith@lbl.gov, ports%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, gj%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, me%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu, asami%freebsd.org@sunrise.cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: xfig.3.1.4 extension to support vi -C signals linkage

> I want to hear from Julian, does adding this functionality make any
> difference to how the port works in the absence of a patched vi?  I'm

I've never liked the fact that this requires modifications of the
ports themselves - this should *not* be the case, and if vi needs a
more general foreign execution-and-data-exchange model then that's
what should be written, not ad-hack changes to each and every port
which you want to make "vi aware."  That's simply the wrong way
of solving the problem.

					Jordan