Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:12:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us
Subject:   Re: PLIST verification script?

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 25-Feb-99 Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >  You can just do a "touch" right before installation and then do a
> >  "find -newer".  Of course that won't find stuff that are tar'ed out
> >  directly.
> How about making a special version of install and making sure all the ports use install
> to install things :)

You weren't reading the thread ... this was about catching the stuff
that an outside piece of software installs, when making a FreeBSD port.
If you already *have* a FreeBSD port (whether or not it uses install,
which is not always feasible) then you don't need the tools being
discussed.

This is *not* about catching stuff the FreeBSD port's makefile installs,
it's about catching the stuff that the 3rd party software is installing,
when adapting a new FreeBSD port.  When I made the octave port, with
it's hundreds of files, that would have saved me *hours* of careful file
accounting, installing, deinstalling, reinstalling, .....

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).