Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 00:08:52 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Sascha Blank <blank@uni-trier.de>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anticipated release date for 3.4

At 12:25 PM 11/18/99 +0100, Sascha Blank wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 02:54:05PM -0600, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
>> What happened to every 4 months?
>
>I wonder too.  Is it really such a good idea to shorten the release
>cycle even more so that we will have four releases a year now?  I don't
>think so.

Well Jordan is the one that has to consider the CD pressing window (or
whatever you wish to call it), so a month early this time and maybe 4.0
will be a month early. <jk>

>Like many other users I contribute my 0.02DM to the FreeBSD project by
>having a FreeBSD CD subscription.  One reason why I do so is the fact
>that with at most three CD releases a year the total amount of money
>spent stays within a range that I am willing and able to pay.  But with
>one additional release a year I really start to wonder whether I want
>and can do so any longer; I'm afraid that many other users think so too.
>
>Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that FreeBSD would not be worth the
>cost of four releases a year, but for many of us having a subscription
>in order to financially contribute to the project is also a matter of
>money.
>
>Therefore I think we should stay with the four month release cycle.
>Just my 0.02DM.

Come on now.  What's another $30 (US) per year for great software and good,
free support.

Didn't really mean to start another debate on 3 vs 4 months for the cycle,
but then my 3.3R CD's are still shrink wrapped.  Plan to get around to a
fresh install after some hardware redistribution and it's quicker to start
from the latest.  AFAICR, there were over 7000 files changes (cvsup log)
form 3.2R to 3.3R.  Significantly less this time round I'd think.

Was more like a "Already?  Where did the time go?" surprise. <shrug>

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve
'86 Yamaha MaxiumX (not FBSD powered)