Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:03:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Active Server Pages

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, spork wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, jack wrote:
>
> > I'm confused.  What does all this M$ based software have to do with
> > FreeBSD?
>
> Well, Apache is the FreeBSD of webservers.  When one of "our" kind can
> bust into that there "other" world of 'dows, that is rather impressive,
> and somewhat heartening.  It gave me warm fuzzies to point a browser at an
> NT machine and be greeted with "powered by Apache".
>
> And if there is support in the win32 Apache for .asps, then perhaps
> there's a way to bring that into *nix Apache...

There is support for most of the ISAPI stuff in Apache running on NT, but
the ISAPI ASP DLL doesn't work last I knew.

In any case, the ISAPI ASP DLL is just a transitionary element until
ASP support is directly integrated into IIS; the ISAPI DLL for it may go
away at any point.

ASP is very annoying to implement, and even worse on a
platform-independent basis, because it relies so heavily on MS things like
Visual Basic and ActiveX.  ChiliSoft (http://www.chilisoft.net/) has a
non-MS ASP implementation for NT.  They have one in the works for Unix,
but it involves reimplementing a lot of stuff.

This enters the world of proprietary standards (well, not standards since
that would imply there is a standard) and becomes very difficult to
implement.

There are some somewhat ASP like things that provide server side scripting
like mod_perl and PHP available for Apache, but they don't give you the
same compatability with ASP that you get with IIS.