Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 95 23:52:04 CDT
From:      "David Kelly" <dkelly@iquest.com>
To:        "Yuval Zalkow" <yzalkow@birch.ee.vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lance drvier where??

>Hey,
>
>        When I tried to configure device lnc0 from the kernel configuration,
>doing a "/kernel -c", I couldn't find the device lnc0 in the list of drivers.
>I did an "ls" of the drivers that were current and there was no mention of
>the "lnc" devices anywhere.  I also dumped to the command shell and couldn't
>find a "file" for it in /dev.  I don't know where the actuall lnc driver itself
>is and without it, I can't progress.
>
>        So, can you actually tell me where the driver file is.  Possibly how
>to install it.  I have the distribution, in shell archives, on another
computer.
>I don't want to extract all the shell archives for this one file, It's a lot
>of data to extract to find one file.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>Chris Inacio
>----------------------
>cinacio@vt.edu

What I did:
1) Feed it the floppies and don't try kernel -c until it boots from the
   hard drive.
2) I used "port lnc0 0x360", "irq lnc0 9", "drq lnc0 3" for an NE2100.
3) You should see it find your card & list its ethernet address (not to
   be confused with the IP address).
4) In the install program press <esc><esc> to get a subshell. The only
   editor you have at this time is "ed", I used ed to change
   /stand/netinst.sh (is that it? I'm on the wrong machine to check.)
   where there is no lnc0 device. I searched for "ed0" which is supposed to
   support NE2100 Lance (it did, in a prior incarnation). Not good enough
   with ed to change just the "ed0" (or was it "et0"?) I replaced the line
   with:
        "lnc0" "My NE2100"\
   saved, quit ed, exit back to the install. And was able to get thru that
   part of the installation.

I found it was too easy to accidently cause the installation program to
decide it was time to quit and set things up to boot multiuser. One thing
NOT to do is to use the wrong command to ftp to end a session. If you use
"bye" to exit ftp, I think things are fine, but "quit" is treated as an
error on reentry to the intall program. (This was using ftp to install from
a host not on the list, one that would not accept anonymous ftp.)

Other little things I had to do manually:
mkdir /proc ; mount /proc
mkdir /var/tmp, and several others in /var

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity