Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 09:32:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        fbsdlist@federation.addy.com (Cliff Addy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rewriting the "Received:" header in email

In a previous message, Cliff Addy said:
> Is there a way to rewrite the Received line in email sent out by sendmail?
> For example, email received by others looks like:

>   [134.93.133.63]) by federation.addy.com (8.8.5/8.6.12) with SMTP id
>   FAA07077
>
> I'd like to rewrite the "federation.addy.com" to the virtual host sending
> the email, e.g. if account "abc" is sending the email, I want the line to
> say the email came from their domain "alphabet.com"

Sounds like a lot of hacking of the rules would be needed. It also
sounds like something a Spammer wants to do. I'm not good enough at
sendmail rules to help.

But, I wanted to say, that you should probably update your sendmail.cf
file. You are running a cf file made from 8.6.12. That's bad. You're
loosing many of the advantages of 8.8.5 using such an old cf file. The
8.8.5 distribution makes it very easy to make a new cf file with the
m4 macros.

--
MGB - British Racing Green on Top
      Castrol and Gerling green on the bottom - Peter Egan