Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:13:44 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Eugene Lee <list-freebsd@fsck.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resizing partitions in the same slice

Eugene Lee wrote:
[ ... ]
> I'm a little surprised.  I would think that resizing partitions is a
> common request, that the idea of growing one partition while shrinking
> another is not a new or rare notion.  Can anyone else share their views
> or experiences?  The list archives contain few comments on the subject.

Resizing partitions is a common request.  FreeBSD has some support for RAID-0
capabilities, ie concatenation which let one grow a volume or filesystem, but
the problem of shrinking an existing partition with data on it is much harder.

That is something that one really wants a backup for, in which case one can
take a backup, repartition, and restore your data.

> BTW, some places have recommended commercial solution like Norton Ghost
> or Partition Magic.  Do these products work on FreeBSD's UFS format and
> grok partitions-in-a-slice?

Sorry, I believe the answer is no.

--
-Chuck