Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 07:35:57 -0500
From:      Flattie McGee <flattie@globelinks.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (?) Cloning FreeBSD Boxes.  Is this possible?

Hi, I'm wondering if this is possible with FreeBSD.

I've installed FreeBSD 3.4 (Upgraded from 3.3 today) and configured it
(when it was 3.3), I've given it the name ERIS.  So far everything seems
to be working okay (though I havn't checked all the ports yet, will do
that today).

In the near future I plan to set up another FreeBSD (3.4) box, fresh
install.. well to some degree, the following is a possible
configuration.. network would be enabled (to internet?), login through
SSH, ports blocked..and name EOS.  I'm wondering.. Is it possible to
make EOS 'CVSup' (or by some other means) to ERIS (God Box), allowing it
to download ERIS's directory contents and let ERIS overwrite certain
aspects of EOS's configuration (minus files of major importance, but
move copies to another directory) or ports collection (and deleting ones
that do not match with ERIS's setup).  Maybe this could be specified in
a clone.conf or something file?

In short.. is it possible to somehow, someway, clone an existing
machine.

I'm sure I would have to recompile the kernel, but what else would have
to be done if this is possible?

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

Flatz.