Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 13:13:21 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best DSL Router?

> > > I am about to go DSL.  I run a small web sever, about 5000 hits a week.
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be the best
> router for the
> > > money(of course one that has been successfully used with FBSD)?  My price
> > > range is around $300-$500.
> >
> >       I and everyone I know recommends a Cisco 675... you can pick up
> > new or barely used ones on Ebay in the $200 range. :) I'm using one right
> > now and plan on picking up another one soon.
>
>         Is this compatible with PacBell's DSL and does it do PPPoE and how
>many ports can you map for NAT and does it have traffic shaping?  Somehow
>I think FreeBSD will still be the ultimate router :)

We think the flexibility of being able to add more ethernet
interfaces for DMZ or whatever public/private subnetting we get drawn
into, IDS and monitoring with SNORT, AIDE, logsurfer, protection with
ipfilter/ipnat is better than a simple, low-end DSL router, and VPN
IPsec.  And then there is DSL bandwidth allocation with dummynet or
etinc bw-mgr.

We don't plan to put DSL into the FreeBSD box, but have the DSL
provider deliver the cheapest "DSL-to-Ethernet" bridge they support
for their DSLAM.  We figure there are already too many providers
involved the DSL link (telco, DSL operator/wholesaler, DSL reseller)
so we prefer to let the DSLAM operator terminate the DSL line with
his own DSLAM-compatible bridge.

This FreeBSD/DSL approach also allows us to use the same FreeBSD
config behind "ISDN-to-Ethernet" bridges. ie, we take the WAN i/f's
out of FreeBSD.  However, we do put the WAN i/f in FreeBSD for
unchannelized leased lines.

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5  installable binary for NT4
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways