Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:30:37 -0400
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 802.11 with best Apple compatibility?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 03:02:03PM +0100, Rasputin wrote:
> Is there any difference between Gold and Silver cards from
> a compatibility standpoint (with the usual Apple Airport cards)?

With WEP encryption turned off they both work together fine.  I've
seen many used in mixed enviornments.  With WEP turned on, they
are completely incomptable.  The silver cards do a 40 bit encryption,
and the gold cards do a 128 bit encryption, and it seems the gold
cards can't be stepped back to 40 bit.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440