Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:08:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Estess <jestess@wcnet.net>
Cc:        adrian@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd@unix-consult.org
Subject:   Re: UNIONFS

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, John Estess wrote:

> I've perused the mailing lists for the union fs and read the scant info
> in the D&I book, but I want to make sure there isn't a RFC or something
> for this fs. Is there some guidance besides the source code for this
> thing or is this a "let your conscience be your guide" scenario?

There's no RFC, since it's not an internet service :-) What would be
useful in understanding what's going on are the papers by John Heidemann
on stacking layers:

http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/WORK/index.html

(Hmm, apparently John teaches at USC thesedays)

> Also, I've switched back to 4.0-Stable because I don't want to ride out
> the significant 5.0-Current changes coming down the pike . Since the
> Unionfs doesn't work anyway, can the powers-that-be update both Current
> and Stable in this case? It would be nice to development this in a
> working environment. Also, is the vfs code slated for massive overhaul
> soon?

A few people have requested that phk's current and forthcoming changes be
backported to 4.0 once they've stabilized, but I don't think it's a
guaranteed thing. I'm not sure how much the relevant bits of the system
are likely to change in the near future.

Kris

----