Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:44:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to find out how to program a Cirque Glidepoint?

Basically, I've got a Cirque Input Center, which is a keyboard with a
three-button glidepoint built into it.

However, it's practically unusable under X for me for a few reasons.
First and most important, unlike the Alps Glidepoint Keyboard, with no
glidepoint specific drivers, gestures are enabled in the Cirque product,
and are far too sensitive for my light touch.  Second, without drivers,
the Cirque product hardwires the middle button to be the same as the left
button.

I've already asked Cirque if any programming information is available, and
received no reply.  I've looked around on the net, and found nothing that
might help. So, I'm reduced to either hoping someone else has solved the
problem, disassembling the Windows driver, or wiring a unix box between a
Windows box and the glidepoint, and attempting to reverse engineer the
actual serial port protocol, not something I look forward to.

So, has anyone done this before? Or can anyone tell me what is necessary
to snoop the protocol?