Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:44:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: has 'options LOCKF_DEBUG' ever worked? (w/ patch) (fwd)

On 15-Nov-01 Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> It panics because of if_inode is not initiliazed:
>
> /sys/kern/kern_lockf.c:1.25:153
>
> /*      lock->lf_inode = ip; */ /* XXX JH */
>
> I have no idea what ``JH'' means, the comment appeared in 1.10.

revision 1.10
date: 1997/02/10 02:09:36;  author: dyson;  state: Exp;  lines: +53 -68
This is the kernel Lite/2 commit.  There are some requisite userland
changes, so don't expect to be able to run the kernel as-is (very well)
without the appropriate Lite/2 userland changes.

The system boots and can mount UFS filesystems.

Untested: ext2fs, msdosfs, NFS
Known problems: Incorrect Berkeley ID strings in some files.
                Mount_std mounts will not work until the getfsent
                library routine is changed.

Reviewed by:    various people
Submitted by:   Jeffery Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org>

Obviously the 'JH' seems to refer to hsu@FreeBSD.org.  He might have more
details on why this change was made. It seems that it has been broken for 4.75
years at this point. :)

I have no objections to the patch except that the concept of an inode is not
valid on all file systems, which is why that may be commented out in the first
place.