Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 12:21:03 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Jamie Gritton <jamie@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@FreeBSD.org, curtis@occnc.com
Subject:   Re: IPv6 multicast sent to jail

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012, Jamie Gritton wrote:

>>> Offhand, it does sound like a bug. I imagine the solution would be to
>>> reject the join - at least the easy solution to be done first until
>>> something more complicated can be done to make jails play nice with
>>> multicast.
>>>
>>> - Jamie
>>

>> Jamie,
>>
>> Certainly not the preferred solution.  Best would be a
>> jail.allow-ipv6multicast sysctl variable with rejecting the join if 0
>> and accepting the join and passing in multicast if 1.  Same for v4,
>> though not of immediate concern since DHCPv4 doesn't need it.
>>
>> If you (or someone) would like to point me in the right direction, I
>> would be willing to put some time into learning the relevant code and
>> proposing a fix.  No promises, but I can put some time into it.  Off
>> list if you prefer.
>>
>> Curtis
>
> It'll have to be someone besides me - I don't know enough about
> multicast myself to be able to do more than keep it out of jails.

sysctl souns bad to me;  I think it should actually be grouped by
ip4.* and ip6.*.  What dod we currently do for raw sockets?  Can we
have a third level easily, as in ip4.raw.*, ip6.mc.*, ...  which of
course would kill the classic "allow" thing for raw sockets myabe?

/bz

          Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.