Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 01:47:04 +0100
From:      nico@trs.inet.it (Niccolo` Avico)
To:        brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: ISDN

>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I'm trying to use FreeBSD as IP router, to internetwork LANs via ISDN WAN
links.

>> I've 3 solutions to route my traffic:
>>   1.    use PPP toward a (possibly fast) asyncronous serial port, which
in turn         drives an ISDN Terminal Adapter;
>>   2.    use PPP toward a V.35 syncronous port;
>>   3.    use a specialized PPP for ISDN cards (there is a RFC about that).
>>

>There is also the choice of using Ethernet based routers likes the
>Combinet CB160. Ethernet<->CB160<->ISDN
>
>Brian Litzinger
>brian@easynet.com

Ok Brian, I already know about routers equipped with Ethernet and WAN ports
(whatever it is, ISDN, Frame Relay, V.35, ...).

My guessing was instead if FreeBSD is capable of driving an ISDN card or a
V.35 card (or possibly a X.21 card), with the goal of routing IP traffic
*through* FreeBSD.

In fact, I don't want to export all my LAN to the Internet, but just the
FreeBSD machine, leaving the other +50 Unix and PC computers hidden. So, to
my knowledge, the router *must* be the FreeBSD PC (the other, obvious
solution, is to give 2 LAN interfaces to FreeBSD and put a router with a LAN
address different from the internal standard, but this will be more expensive).

Another solution could be to write by myself the driver for the WAN card,
using the already available PPP: for this task I need maybe some hints from
you, to start working.

That's all; thank you for your support.

Niccolo` Avico                      E-mail: nico@trs.inet.it
T.R.S. S.p.A.
Via V. G. Galati, 91                   Tel: ++39-(0)6-4063911
00155  ROMA  Italy                     Fax: ++39-(0)6-4060300