Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 17:32:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: conf.c and USL copyright at top

> > OK, so it was a mistake to add code to encumbered files.  No argument
> > from anybody on that point, I'm pretty sure.  However, do we just
> > throw up our hands in defeat?  I surely hope not!  Your analysis below
> > would certainly suggest to me that removing the USL copyright is now
> > an option we can realistically entertain.  It's not even remotely
> > "derived" from now.  In our CVS tree, we're no worse off than before.
> > In our exported tree, it's one less encumbered file, right?
> right.

I don't think you can do that. Even if it's all completely new code you've
been sticking it in a file with a USL copyright. You can't just rip
off that copyright. Whoever made the changes released them under the
USL copyright, I don't think you can do that either :-)

You need to replace it with a completely rewritten file like Bill has
done with the yp stuff.

Of course, if a lot of the lines in the old file are yours and you type
them into the new file because they're in your head then that's up to
you :-)

Not relevant for conf.c but it's worth getting the principle understood so
people know what they can and can't do.

The one thing you definately shouldn't do is check the thing out and
then check it back in with a different copyright because it's not your
copyright to remove.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)