Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 1995 06:38:55 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        brian@MediaCity.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling Mosaic/What about Motif?

>> > because Motif is a commercial software from OSF, there is no sources or
>> > FREE dist for FreeBSD, I think. But there are some commercial versions....
>
>> Your best bet is a commercial Motif OEM version and get someone to
>> link it static for you.
>
>Could someone pass along a pointer to one or more of the commercial
>versions?

>From http://www.acc-corp.com,

SWiM 2.0 for Linux (OSF/Motif 2.0) NEW!!!

On CD, and includes 160 page OSF Motif Users Guide!
^^^^^^^^^ This is the very recent port of Motif 2.0 to the Linux OS. The
package contains binaries compiled for both the X11R5 (XFree86 2.1) AND X11R6
(xfree86 3.1.1) X window environments as well as an ELF version for use with
the latest Linux distributions. !

Develop Motif applications at home. The SWiM - Motif 2.0 package for Linux
includes the OSF/Motif Window Manager along with all the necessary tools for
OSF/Motif compatible application development. Each Package includes: The Window
Manager (mwm), Shared Library (libXm, libMrm), Static Libraries (libXm, libMrm,
libUil), UIL Compiler, Header and Included files and Source code to OSF/Motif
demo programs. Complete OSF/Motif Users Guide is included in printed and
electronic form, as well as thousands of pages of additional Motif reference
documents are included on the CD.

Includes support direct from the developers. A must have for serious
development.

(Order) SW1006 - SWiM 2.0 for Linux (S.R.P: $199.00) Our Price: $149.00

(Order) SW1013 - SWiM 2.0 for FreeBSD (S.R.P: $199.00) Our Price: $149.00
Author: GUI Corporation
Edition: November 1994
Upgrades from SWiM Motif 1.2.4 are available at only $50
Great Volume discounts and Reseller Pricing available!

The SWiM 2.0 for FreeBSD is for FreeBSD 2.X.  I believe they have a SWiM 1.2.4
for FreeBSD 1.X also.

I've been running the SWiM 2.0 with a Feb and March snap shot along with current
kernels and have had no problems.  I've compile a few Motif programs like
xmcd and nedit and they work beautifully.  The examples that come with SWiM
do not compile "out-of-the-box" with FreeBSD; the make files are not quite
right.  But they will compile when changed correctly.  I've made a few notes
of the problems I had when installing SWiM; their installation is not quite
right and I've modified the sample app-defaults and resources.  If you purchase
SWiM, I can send along whatever notes I have.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org