Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:04:35 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound on AlphaStation 500

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:23:19PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Wilko Bulte writes:
>  > Hi
>  >
>  > Anybody ever succeeded in getting the builtin sound to work on the
>  > AlphaStation 500? I got an AS500 this week and have been playin with
>  > it a bit. Sofar I can get the CS sound chip detected alright but playing
>  > sound results in "no interrupt, channel dead" messages. I used the
>  > ECU (yes, the ISA stuff hangs off a PCI-EISA bridge so you need to run
>  > the ECU) to set up things, and also checked the jumpers on the sound
>  > daughtercard (it has jumpers for the I/O range).
>  >
>  > Suggestions are welcome.
>
> It worked a few years ago when I had an AS500 on my desk.

Good datapoint. Did it show up in SHOW CONF? Mine does not.
I'm gonna try a AS500 at work to see what that one sez.

> Blind guess: try setting the flags to 0x10011.

I'll try.

Do you per chance remember if you ran the ECU? If yes, what
DMA/IRQ settings?

> I think the key is to disable the use of 2 DMA channels & tell the PCM
> code that its a "true MSS"

Hmmmm. I want to get this working and then into my hardware document.
Too silly one has to re-invent the wheel.

W/