Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:24:25 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        chip wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printing error

At 8:44 PM -0800 2/8/03, chip wiegand wrote:
>I just setup my new Epson C62 printer, works great on my freebsd box.
>I am using samba to share it with the rest of the family pc's. They
>see it in network neighborhood, connect,  install the drivers, all
>fine.  but the test page won't print. Nothing appears in the queue
>with 'lpc stat all'. In the samba log I get the following error -
>
>printing/print_cups.c:cups_queue_get(731)
>   Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost - Connection refused
>
>As I mentioned, I'm using samba, so why am I getting cups errors? How
>do I disable cups,  it's not a running process that I can find.

You probably built samba without the magic environment variable
that causes it to skip CUPS.  That probably resulted in CUPS
being installed.

And the error message is because samba is *expecting* to connect to
CUPS, but that is failing.  Thus, there is no CUPS process actually
running.

Re-check what makefile options you have when building the samba port.