Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:27:23 +0200
From:      Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
To:        Richard Caley <richard@caley.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or DesktopOS?)

Richard Caley wrote:

> > I think the best thing is to keep things as simple as possible.
>
> But no simpler.
>
> > I personally think that a fix should always be a fix
>
> that is like saying a cure for cancer should be a cure for
> cancer. Fine.

It wouldn't be called a cure for a cancer otherwise).

> How do you know it is a cure and how do you know what
> the side effects will be.

I think the answer is obviously, long time testing and monitoring.

> If life could ever be that simple we wouldn't need _any_ branches.

So lets not make any other sub-branches of branches and patches to
comlicate things even further.

> A lot of testing goes into what becomes a release. People using the
> RELEASE branch have a reasonable expectation that it will have been
> tested to that standard. That amount of testing can't be done for
> every fix applied to the STABLE branch. Occasionally there will be a
> fix which will break something else that no one thought to
> test.
>
> Basicly, you can't have somethign which is stable and which gets fixed
> quickly, the two aims are in opposition.

But you can have a -STABLE that is reliable and *critical* patches are
applied quickly. I believe that this is what mostly this thread is about.